November 24, 2012 · 5:39 AM
Same pie crust as last year, which is stolen from Kathy Patalsky of the Lunch Box Bunch blog. I always mix by hand with a pastry cutter.
Chef made the filling and drizzly topping, which he stole from epicurious (apple ginger pie with cider-bourbon sauce).
The drizzle is delicious (there’s a shot of bourbon in it, and it is not cooked off) and so is the filling (bourbon in there too). But like last year, the apples weren’t mushy enough after baking for our tastes. The epicurious recipe doesn’t call for cooking the apples down beforehand, but I think we’ve resolved to do that no matter what the recipe says for the next time we attempt this.
November 18, 2012 · 5:48 AM
Purely a food porn post. Here’s some of my pornbread (pumpkin cornbread, recipe here) and Chef’s cranberry and fig jam (recipe here). We did good.
November 14, 2012 · 4:05 AM
For serious! Here’s where he got the recipe.
- 1 oranges
- 2 lbs figs, washed and quartered
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1/2 vanilla pod, split
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, bottled
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or 2 cups frozen cranberries, divided
- Zest orange and rough chop meat discard pith, place it and all the ingredients except one cup of cranberries in a heavy bottom pot over low flame.
- Stir to release juices it will be thick. Stirring not to burn. Juices will come and when it does raise heat to high stirring most of the time. At this time remove the vanilla bean.
- Using the immersion blender to puree some of the fruit leaving some chucks. Then add the other cup of cranberries.
- When it hits a rolling boil for 15 minutes all the time stirring.
- Pour into sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch head space and process 10 minutes.
- turn flame off and remove lid. Time 5 more minutes. Remove jars holding upright. Cool in draft free spot overnight. Label and use with in 1 year if unopened. Opened store in refrigerator.